Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Brett's Review: Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001)


It is always said that there is two sides to every story, however in this case there may be at least 7. That is how many members of the Eagles there have been who I am sure would have something to say.Often the test of truthfulness in what is reported about others in a book is the candor with which the author reports his own failings and faults. If this is the benchmark that "Heaven and Hell" is to be held to, then I venture to say this book just might be an accurate one.

Don Felder, a member of the Eagles Country Rock band from 1974 - 2001, gives an interesting and lively account of one of America's most successful bands in spite of or due to the dictatorship and bullying of "The Gods" Don Henley and Glen Frey.More of a dysfunctional family than a band at times, the Eagles managed the highest selling record in North American history, while not even speaking to one another form time to time.This was an interesting glimpse inside the self proclaimed "Eagles Pressure Cooker".

Oh and since I mentioned candor, I am forced to admit that I am a huge fan of the Eagles and that may make this book more interesting to me than the causal reader. (***1/2 )

No comments: